During the summer of 1936 a few enthusiastic campers and caravanners met at Millarochy Bay on Loch Lomond to discuss problems arising from the increase in open air activities in Scotland. They felt that with the growing popularity of the motor car, the time had come for further developments in family camping, especially within reach of Glasgow and Edinburgh
Out of these discussions, the Scottish Car Camping Club was formed. Activities increased as did membership, a site was found and a formal opening performed
During the winter before the war a number of social functions were held in Glasgow, with runs and rambles on Sundays. These activities helped make the club an all year - round affair. At the outbreak of war the Balfron site served as a evacuation centre. The outstanding feature of the early war years was the changeover of tent members to caravans, so complete was this change that the title of the club was changed in March 1942 to the Scottish Caravan Club.
It was at this time that talks with the Caravan Club of Great Britain and Ireland commenced to see if co-operation would bring mutal benefits to both clubs. However the war was on and the talks broke down.
When the war ended, talks re-commenced and early in 1945 it was agreed that the merger would take place on the 27th June and the Scottsh Caravan Club would become the Scottish Division of the Caravan Club but with the right to its own constitution and the use of the name Scottish Caravan Club